Re: jpegs & gifs & ie

by "Mike Eovino" <meovino(at)erols.com>

 Date:  Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:16:00 -0400
 To:  "cmiskell" <cmiskell(at)home.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Claudette,

Unless something's changed, I don't think you can make the background of a
jpeg transparent.  Besides, if you look at the pixels of a jpeg REALLY
closely, most of them aren't the same color anyway, so you couldn't set a
single transparent color.  Just for fun, take a picture with a consistent
background color (white is good), save it as a jpeg (preferably one with a
lower quality/higher compression ratio), then save it as a gif and try
setting a transparent color and dropping it on a page with the body color
set to black.  It took me forever to realize that once a file has been
"jpeg'ed,"  the color information goes crazy (because of the lossy
compression routine) and you'd have to paint all the pixels by hand to turn
it into a decent gif.

HTH -
Mike Eovino
Webmaster