Re: Frameset questions

by "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>

 Date:  Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:40:38 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Greg Norman" <geenorm(at)hartcom.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Greg!

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Norman <geenorm(at)hartcom.net>
To: hwg-basics(at)hwg.org <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
Date: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 7:44 AM
Subject: Frameset questions

>Hello all,
>
>I am building a web site that use frames. Things were going great until I
>tried to target a frame from an image map. I tried what I thought was the
>obvious (adding the target attribute to the links within the map tags),
>that did not work for me. To make matters worst I want to change the
>content of two different frames by clicking one link within an image map.
>
>I have read the chapters regarding frames from the two html 4.0 books that
>I have. I could not find any information about either situation.
>
>Is it possible to target a frame from an image map?

Yes it is very possible.  Make sure you follow case for the target value,
and match it to the case of the frame name.  It is also possible to set a
default target for the page, but I'm not sure if this proceedure is browser
specific.  Also, make sure the frame name you are targeting is the name of a
frame currently on screen.

>Is it possible to change two frames within the same frame set from one
link?

Not with HTML without some trickery.  (See my post a few up from here) I'm
under the impression this can be done with JavaScript or VBScript, although
I've never played with them.  I try to stay away from things the visitor may
have turned off.

paul