Re: Many stupid basic questions

by "=?iso-8859-1?B?TGF1cmkgVuRpbg==?=" <optima(at)hot.ee>

 Date:  Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:02:38 +0300
 To:  "IceWolf" <icewolf(at)tampabay.rr.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello IceWolf,

>I've taught myself most of what I know about HTML by viewing the source for
>web pages that I like the look of, and experimenting. However there are a

Thats the way I did it, keep doing it, it really works :-)

>lot of things that I've run into on this list and elsewhere that I have
>absolutely no idea what they are or how to use them. CSS is a great
example.

>(One of the s/w apps I use at work is called CSS, which I find amusing
since
>it has nothing to do with HTML or the web.)
>
>So... my questions...
>
>1) What g'zactly is CSS and how do you use it with respect to web sites?

Please read the messages in this list with the subject:
1) Re: spelling and grammar - what IS css?
2) Re: spelling/grammar/what IS css/waxing philosophical--getting OT
3) CSS Tutorial
Note: Sorry, if I missed any other posts and didn't mention them here

>2) What is CGI?

"Common Gateway Interfence" or something like that (I'm not an expert :-))
Basically some directories have cgi-bin dir which allows you to run CGI
scripts. You can for example put a mail form on your page, which sends
feedback about your site to you. CGI has a lot of possibilities, but I
haven't gotten myself to explore them, yet.

>3) What are META tags?

There are various meta tags like: keywords, description, generator(you won't
be needing this), rating, author etc.
Basically you can store the general information about your pages in the meta
tags.
The meta keywords tag is used to provide keywords relating to the content of
your page. Search engines do a lot of their ranking based on meta tags.
The content of meta description tag will be displayed in the search results
of many Search Engines. It's descriptive text about your site.
In case you wan't to know more about meta tags then just download the
WebPosition Gold Trial from www.webposition.com and read their help files,
it's really useful.
The basic syntax of meta tags is
(just replace the text in the double quotes with the text you prefer)
Meta tags should be placed inside the <head></head> after the
<title></title>. In case you don't know basic HTML, learn it, don't use just
WYSIWYG editors like FrontPage.

>4) How do you use keywords?

Do you mean the meta keyword tag? Keywords on a page? Something else?
Whatever you mean, the answer will probably be inside the help file of
WebPosition Gold (look above

5) How do you do forms?

Not sure, you might try searching it in your Search Engines (search for CGI
tutorial, froms tutorial or something alike)

>More questions later, as I think of them.

In case you need more help, just mail me. OK?

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Lauri V�in
--
Lauri V�in
Get a residual income by earning commissions