Re: Domain naming question

by "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>

 Date:  Sat, 25 Sep 1999 20:35:23 -0700
 To:  <goshadow(at)islandnet.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Do you mean

http://www.somewhere.com
http://support.somewhere.com

etc.?

If so, the rules are simple.  Your provider needs to assign a dns entry to
point to these virtual addresses.  If you have your sites hosted, each one
of these would require separate directories yet could be hosted by the same
provider.  I don't think each one will require a separate domain
registration.

I don't know if this will work from outside my provider, but try to ping

www.ntyc.net
ns1.ntyc.net

and see if you get any response.  If my theory is correct, both should
return 209.160.41.38.

In my case, the actual name of my server is "ns1", but to keep with normal
conventions, a dns entry also points to the same numerical address at "www".