Re: A newbie Question

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:12:20 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thank you Captain:

For not pointing out the incompleteness of my earlier post.

I had intended to point out that FrontPage was an excellent learning tool.
That was one of the main reasons for mentioning it in the first place.

With this program--more than any other--the ease of shifting between WYSIWYG
and raw HTML makes learning a breeze. Especially in such complicated things
as table structures. You can set up your page elements in the Normal View
and then switch to HTML to see the result. In addition, MS has many
Glossaries available to give a new-bee a heads up on terms.

There are several FrontPage discussion lists that spend most of the time
helping people insert all that other "stuff" into the basic HTML page. (You
almost NEVER see any questions about raw HTML because the program does all
that, leaving you to learn all the other things that have been mentioned.)

This list spends a large amount of time arguing over DOCTYPES and the
ramifications thereof. FrontPage will allow you to use any DOCTYPE you
choose and even has two or three default ones, depending on the browser
compatibility settings. And--snicker--much to the chagrin of those
arguing--a good 50% of the web pages out there use no DOCTYPE at all. I have
yet to personally find a browser that does not render such pages just fine.
Go figure??

[DISCLAIMER: You should be aware that when you get into some of the advanced
stuff, a DOCTYPE may be needed to make it--the advanced stuff that is--work]

These programs will also allow you to insert all these other fancy scripts
we are talking about--right into your page. Then once again, you can turn to
the HTML view to see the integration.

Granted they both have some gimmicks for the "masses" that may not be needed
in your case. For example, I have used FrontPage for some years now but I
have NEVER used the infamous FP Extensions, preferring to use FTP to upload
my files on the host server. Actually, there are very few "features" that
need these extensions and all are available without them--such as using SSI
instead of FP's Themes.

And again--Dreamweaver or FrontPage will only do the basic work, much like
Word does for typing. You have to know all the rest. Still, to get started,
either of these programs will allow you to create a surprisingly nice
looking site while you're learning.

Again best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA