Re: form handling

by "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:42:37 +0800
 To:  "Kukla Fran and Ollie" <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>
 Cc:  "HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> Each web developer has to decide for him/herself whether the security,
> simplicity and ease of a particular script should be for the benefit of
the
> developer (which appears to be the norm), or of the user (which is what it
> should have been all along).

That's all fine if you have access to your own CGI bin.  Not all ISP's or
hosts trust their customers enough to let them run their "own" scripts.

If you are stuck with using a formmail.pl (or similar) provided by your ISP
because they perceive a security risk in allowing people to run their own
scripts, you cannot hard-code anything.

Of course, you could always change hosts if that's the case - sometimes
easier said than done, especially for people who use the "free' hosting
provided by their ISP (I have customers in that category).  They'd have to
be given a very compelling reason to migrate...

My 2 cents worth
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
CIW Associate, IWA Member