Re: browser windows

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:45:18 -0400
 To:  "HTML Writers' Guild" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
[snip]
> but in the meantime I've changed the
> TARGET="new_window" to TARGET="_blank".  (That one still has me a
> bit lost - they both appeared to work in the same manner).
[snip]

Shelley and others,

I have found the answer to this small mystery within the W3C's HTML 4.01
spec.  If you blink you could miss it.  It is in section 16.3.2- Target
semantics.  Item number four states:

"If any target attribute refers to an unknown frame F, the user agent should
create a new window and frame, assign the name F to the frame, and load the
resource designated by the element in the new frame."

So, the browsers are doing exactly what has been specified.  This means when
we want to open a new window, our target names can be whatever our little
hearts desire and not violate any rules! (As long as that name isn't already
used of course)

Steve