Re: another problem viewing in Netscape

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:14:05 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Lois Duckworth" <leduckw(at)ici.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I can view it fine in Microsoft Internet Explorer but with Netscape 4.7  I
> cannot get to the main page.
> I thought it might be  cache problem on my machine but I cleared the cache
> and still have the problem.

The problem is with your editor.  Your using Frontpage 4.0 and it is
creating some I.E. specific JavaScript code.  The error is coming back when
Netscape tries to load your JavaScript rollover script from that page.  This
is the specific line that Netscape is choking on:

<script language="JavaScript1.2" fptype="dynamicanimation" src="animate.js">

In true JavaScript there is no "fptype" statement that I know of.  When
programming in JavaScript you will find not all scripts are created equal.
Some work well with one browser, some work well with the other and yes even
a few work with both browsers.

The easy fix here would be to do away with the JS rollover effects for now
and later when you know some javaScript - create your own buttons and
rollover effects.

BTW this specific effect from FP 4.0  has caused a lot of web folks to say
bad things about FrontPage and GUI editors in general.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net