Re: overlapping

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Sat, 21 Aug 1999 12:01:14 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: St. Marys Public Library <smlib(at)execulink.com>
http://www.execulink.com/~smlib/antiques.html

>The problem I'm having is this:  it looks fine on my 15" monitor, but a
>friend has a 17" and says that the text is centred on the screen rather
>than between the borders.  The text overlaps onto the right-hand
border.
>Can anyone tell me how I can fix this problem?  I like having the
border on
>both sides of the screen, to reflect the window shade theme, so I don't
>really want to change that if I don't have to.
>Amy

You have a background image that is 705 pixels wide. If one was viewing
this in a resolution of over 800x600, then the viewer would see the
right shutter side AND then a bunch of white space continuing over to
the right. This viewer would also see that the end of the title gif
would run into the right shutters side along w/ the center graphic
almost touching the right side shutters (not appearing centered in the
background image itself.)

If one was viewing this in less than 800x600 resolution, the viewer
would NOT see the right side shutters of the bg image and the graphics
are more to the left than in the center.

So, all in all, it is not the monitor size; per say "17" or "15" inch,
but the resolution settings one has their monitor set to.

If you want to stick w/ the bg image showing both side shutters, in
800x600 and up, then you would have to set your table data cells (td's)
to contain the width of each shutter side, and set your center table
data cell to a width that is the remainder of the total table width
(less the left and right td's widths). As far as viewers that are in
640x480, they will never see the right side shutters, not uless you
remake your bg image.

Example code:
<TABLE border="0" width="100%">
<TR>
<TD valign="top" width="15%">&#160;</TD>
<TD valign="top" width="60%">your main body content here</TD>
<TD valign="top" width="15%">&#160;</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

You could specify your widths in fixed pixels instead of percentages,
but much layout view testing would need to be done on different
resolution settings. The &#160; is a non-breaking space used for the
left and right side shutters. This could also be replaced w/ a
clear/transparent gif the width of your borders.

--
Cindy K. Stanley