Re: Need Your Assistance

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:02:37 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

From: Cindy Stanley <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>
>Seems to me that you have a bigger problem than underlined text that is
>not hyperlinks. In IE4.0 I get the extreme tracker and then
>approximately 7 or 8 scroll pages of nothing but white (very thin
>leftside bg showing through) .... THEN the page starts.
>
>Once the page starts, under the Elvira's Casket image, all text is not
>underlined. Just the links, that show a hand.

Okay, looked at your code a bit deeper now. First, why use the BASEFONT
element if you set the size to 3? That is the default, so as I would see
it, it is not necessary (it is also deprecated in favor of style
sheets).

It appears your problems (pages of white space and huge horizontal
scroll ... text is not underlined in IE4) are stemming from your OBJECT
tag. I took that complete element out of the page, and the several pages
of white space disappear,  and like before, there are no underlined text
(that doesn't show a hand) visible on the page.

I do not have the crescendo plugin, BUT I also do not see the text you
marked up stating:
Crescendo Plug-in and Netscape 4.0 or MSIE 4.0 Needed to Hear My
Haunting Music!
(this was prior to me taking out the OBJECT element coding).

I tried to view the page in NN4.02, but my browser froze up when it read
in the status bar "Loading Java". I do not see any java marked up in
your page although.

I see you attempted to validate your page through w3c, and also see that
there were no errors on the OBJECT tag. How oddly, once I took that tag
out, the page displayed properly. I am not familiar w/ the OBJECT tag
when it comes to music files, so maybe someone else will be able to see
where the problem lies and confirm if it is this tag that is causing
your problems.

--
Cindy K. Stanley