Re: New to CGI

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)>

 Date:  Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:32:55 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Rob Bushman <bushman(at)>
To: hwg-basics(at) <hwg-basics(at)>
>I have a client that want's visitors to send the URL of his
>site to their friends. In other words, a text field where
>visitors enter the email address of a friend, they click a
>"send" or "submit" button, and an email message is sent to
>the friend containing the URL of the site.
>Can this be done? I've never done anything with CGI. It
>seems like I should be able to find some script, upload it
>to a cgi-bin (where this "bin" is, I don't have a clue),
>then create a form with the text field and the submit
>button. Can someone please give me detailed steps? Keep in
>mind, I'm a first-timer.
>My client will eventually have his site hosted with
>Interland. Would they have some CGI's to use for this?

You may get better solutions if you post this w/ the "servers" list.
That is where any and all CGI related info is addressed.

This list is to be used by HTML Writers Guild to discuss matters related
to administrating and operating a World Wide Web server, including CGI
and server-side programming, HTTPD configuration, and other server
Cindy K. Stanley