Re: images and printing with Netscape 4

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Oct 1999 03:20:45 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Nick Pearce <N.Pearce(at)centenary.usyd.edu.au>
>When printing various pages from our website using Netscape 4.08 or 4.7
the
>images ignore attributes and print at full size. Thus the images cover
text
>and other images.
>example of the problem can be seen at
>http://www.centenary.usyd.edu.au/hp/mgorrell.html

You need to resize your images in a graphics editor to the proper size
you actually want displayed, instead of relying on the browser to resize
them for you.

>The pages look fine on the net and print normally using
>earlier versions of Netscape eg Netscape 2 and Internet Explorer. My
>Question is what is causing the problem and is there a quick fix.

It is not a good thing to *resize* your images by just marking it up to
the width and height that you want. This strains the browser, and also
causes a longer download time for your viewers. Resize them in a
graphics editor, and not only should that fix your print problem, but
also will make your web page more pleasing, by opening up much faster.

--
Cindy K. Stanley