Re: Strange alt text behavior

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:12:37 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>
>A client says that when he visits this page:
>http://www.code5.com/privacy.htm, he can see the alt text of the images
>when he passes his mouse over the images, kind of like a mouseover!

That is correct behavior any time you have noted the alt text for
images. I would imagine that is how a text-only viewer might find out
what actually sits there in that image spot, is to run his mouse over
it.

>it happens only on that page.

It happens on other pages too, but not on all images, for you have not
included the alt text on all images throughout the site.

> He's using a PC and Netscape to view it.

I am using IE4.0 and NN4.61 to view it and I DO view it :-) ... which I
should view the alt text if it has been specified.

>asked him if he meant the text he sees before the picture loads, but he
>said no.

You should see the alt text prior to the images loading and also after
they have loaded, once you run your mouse across them.

>He can see the image and the alt text. Does he have X-ray
>vision or what?

Nope

> I'd like to tell him he's crazy, but not until the check
>clears. :)

Good idea :-)

--
Cindy K. Stanley