Re: Strange alt text behavior

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:30:22 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>
>> A client says that when he visits this page:
>> http://www.code5.com/privacy.htm, he can see the alt text of the
images
>> when he passes his mouse over the images, kind of like a mouseover!
>
>And many of you replied (thanks) that this is normal.
>
>I've been surfing the Web for years and have *never* seen this happen!
>How can that be possible?

Maybe there is a preference in your browser not to show alt text? I have
never checked, so not sure.

>So anyone using Net or IE can see the alt text
>appear over any *loaded* image when they do a mouseover (as long as the
>designer used alt tags)?

My impression of the alt text, is for many browsers ... not just IE and
NN. Not sure though.

>Except me? Is this text always centered over
>the image?

The text will come up under and to the right of where ever you place
your mouse over the image.

>And always black text, even with a dark image behind it?

The black text is within a light colored box ... I see a very very light
yellow colored box and black text.

>if it's a tiny image and a lot of alt text? Does all that text still
>display on the screen, covering other elements until you move your
mouse?

All the alt text will be displayed once you mouseover the image, and
sometimes will "cover other elements".

--
Cindy K. Stanley