Re: Please someone be merciful....

by "Cindy Stanley, SSS WebWorks" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:51:17 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Kassianna <Kassianna(at)WiccanWeb.Net>
>I am just stumped!  I can get the page I'm working on to look okay in
>Explorer, but the Netscape version won't go.  Period.  I've tried
>validating and ended up with no changes that did a thing to help
<snip>
>I feel like it is just one random tag not closed or something, but I
cannot
>find it to save my life
>The page is http://www.Crohns.net/Crohns/Education.html

Kass,
After running the above url through the w3c validator, it comes up w/
many errors, as you already know. Try weeding through those errors,
slowly.

-2 <title> tags

-Alot of <font> tags in the wrong places (see what tags are legal  w/in
the font element and which tags you can use the font element in, at this
url:<http://www.ssswebworks.com/fontelement.htm>). Once you put all your
font tags in their legal places, you will lose alot of the errors that
the validator is spitting up.

-Any time you see the following error, it usually is due to a font
element being in the wrong place:
... missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"
start-tag.

-You are missing an end font tag, for the opening font tag on line 490
of your document. I am not sure if this is the only missing end font tag
though.

-<ol> and <li> tags are in the wrong place.
<li> is legal w/in the follwing tags:
dir, menu, ol, ul and <li> is a singleton tag, requiring no end tag.
<ol> is legal w/in the following tags: blockquote, body, button, center,
dd, div, fieldset, form, iframe, li, noframes, noscript, object, td, th.
You can use the follwing tags w/in <ol> ... </ol>: li

-Any time you declare your widths in percentages, enclose that value
percentage in quotes.

-As far as your concern w/ your comment tags, I do not code w/ comments
very often, but when I do, I use a space after my hypens, and only use 2
hyphens, ie:
<!-- This is where it starts -->. I do not know if omitting spaces and
adding more hyphens, as you have, makes a difference. And if I use more
than one comment, back to back, I also use a space in between them.

-Appears you have closed a div tag, which has no opening tag, at the
bottom of your page.

That should get you started in clearing up your document. Work slowly,
weeding the errors down, and then repost to the list with an update of
any errors or misalignments you may still have.

--
Cindy K. Stanley, SSS