Re: W3C HTML Error & Borders

by "Cindy Stanley, SSS WebWorks" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:14:19 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Dane & Melody <melndane(at)cableone.net>
>"<INPUT TYPE="image" NAME="add" SRC="buttons/add.jpg" BORDER="0"
>ALT="Add to Shopping Cart">" (ignore outside quotes)
>
>I am editing in HTML 4.0 (I think)

and does your doctype reference that "HTML 4.0 (I think)?

>HTML site, this border statement trips an error, which reads:
>
>'Error: there is no attribute "BORDER"'

I do not show the border attribute for an input element to be valid in
html 4.0 nor 3.2. Also, I use an image for a submit button myself, and
do not have the border attribute NOR do I see any sort of border around
that submit image. I don't see where this attribute does anything.

>what do I do now?

do you show a border around your submit image if you do not use that
border attribute? If not, simply omit that attribute and validate your
page.

>Is it really important for my doc's to validate in the first place?

Yes, it is.

--
Cindy K. Stanley, SSS
Stanley Support Service