Re: Search engine and no text page

by "Cindy Stanley, SSS WebWorks" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:00:21 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Shelley <shelleyw(at)home.com>
>Do you mean that you submit the url to the site map
>page instead of the index page?

yes

From: Cindy

From: Shelley
>(smack forehead).  But! - why is it considered spamming?

Search engines consider these tricks that people use by duplicating the
keywords to match their body content in order to get a higher ranking.
Good body content should NOT be solely a duplication of keywords.
More than likely, if the text is not visible in a browser, then it won't be
indexed by a search engine.

>you have no text on the index page (just graphics, company name
>and links) and this is the page being submitted for registration
>(i.e., the domain name)

You can submit *any* page to the search engines and directories.

>but a text description of the company is in the index page file but
>not displayed there would not be duplication of information.

Having your text description in your meta tag AND having the text
description *visible* in your page document would not be considered
spamming.

>However, if I did up the splash page with the usual description of
>the company in text under (beside, whatever) the graphic, company
>name and logo along with the usual meta files - that is not considered
>spamming(?)

As long as the *text is visible*, it is not considered spamming.

--
Cindy K. Stanley, SSS
Stanley Support Service