Re: Declaring image size larger than actual images

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:29:51 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
maybe JavaScript...with 2 document writes

Might it be a better approach to reserve an area equal to the max size of
the biggest image with a table cell or using a div with CSS?  I know its not
perfect, but it would allow the rest of the page to load correctly.

It seems to me that the only way to do it right would be to include the
image sizes in your data files.  I am fighting this very issue with two
different engines I am building for client-maintained sites.  Essentially,
they want to just toss images online and let the software handle all those
nasty little sizing and optimizing issues.  I would be interested in any
techniques others have used to address this issue...

From: Jay Smith <jay(at)JaySmith.com>
Subject: Declaring image size larger than actual images

Greetings,

I have more than a thousand product images that have similar, but
slightly varying sizes.  It is not economical to resize the images to a
standard size.

To speed page loading, I wish to declare the actual image sizes.
However, everything that I have read indicates that if the declared
image size is different (larger) than the actual image size, the image
will be scaled/distorted to fit.  Even a small amount of distortion is
completely unacceptable in the case of these particular images (the
viewers know exactly what they expect to see and will not be happy if it
is distorted).

??? Is there any way to tell IE and NS to use the declared image size to
reserve the space, but then to NOT scale the image that they put into
that space?

Note: The page content is to be built and rebuilt every couple of days
from database output thru XML transformed to HTML.  Thus using a "image
placement wizard" in a WYSIWYG program is NOT an option.