Re: Meta Tags

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:21:32 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Courtney Carter Trautweiler" <jgf001(at)mail.connect.more.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Just a quick question, is it generally recommended to put Meta Tags on
each
> page of a website or can you put them all on the first page and then have
> the robots follow and index the rest?

Generally it is better to tailor meta's to each page. Let me give you an
example, if your website sells fruit, and you keep the same meta tags, most
of the pages will do poorly.  The reason is that a page with apples for
example will have generic metas like fruit, compote, or fruit cocktail as
important metas, but the text on that page will be about apples. This means
the meaning of the page gets somewhat lost.... even if the word apples is
listed in the metas, it won't be enough.

If the webpage on apples listed "apples, macintosh, rome, delicious, red,
applesauce, juice" etc then people that are looking for apples will be much
more likely to find your page because they are using these terms, not the
more generic ones to locate what they want.

For this to work, the most important word or two needs to be in the <.title>
the <.description> and <.keyword> meta tags, in the main <.header> and
liberally sprinkled throughout the webpage.  This is because different
search engines lock in on different items when indexing your wegpages.

You have to think like the person that will be searching, what words are
they going to use to search? You have to think like them, then you build
that into the webpages.  The best free advice I have seen is at
http://www.laisha.com/search

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net