Re: Is the customer always right?

by "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Jun 2002 10:55:38 -0700
 To:  "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I'm cross-posting this query from another source;
> i too am interested in any comments:
>
> Just pondering about sites specs and customers. One of our customers is
> being a little errr "dynamic" with her opinions. What do you do when a
> customer insists on something you really don't want to do. One example is
> she really wants a "click here to enter " page (which I hate). I've tried
> explaining the stats - that maybe 20% of customers leave when they see
such
> a page but its not working.

The customer is not always right. When they don't listen to me and my years
of experience I tell them that I think I am too busy to be able to help
them.  It's true because they are wasting my time if they won't listen.

I won't build a site that does not make money because I feel it says
something about my work... that I am willing to compromise just to get the
job.  We spend a lot of time here talking about standards compliance.  We
talk too little about what works in the relationship with our clients.

You have to establish yourself at the start.  "I am a successful e-business
developer and I take on very few new clients but I am willing to talk to
you, I can see you Tuesday at noon? would that be good for you?"  "Even if
we don't do business together, you can learn a lot from me and get some
great ideas."

>From the beginning I have told them I stay busy and I am a discerning in
what I will take on.  I have also told them that what I do works.  They may
know how to manufacture a left handed widget, but they don't know what I do.
My expertise is what they need if they want to succeed.

You can't please everybody.  I won't spend weeks and even months dragging
someone kicking and screaming towards a successful website.  It's much nicer
with someone that is reasonable and appreciative.  It's also much nicer for
me.  Don't bother trying to work every job that comes your way.

As an example, rebuilding sites is something I don't do anymore.  You often
find out the site has had two or three previous designer/developers.  This
is a dead give away that the owner is the problem.

Redesigns always start out as, "I only need a little work done on it" and
always end up being a complete overhaul of someone elses junk. It always
blossoms into a huge project that takes too much time and it never pays
well.  After several redesigns it isn't  code anymore, it's a wreck.  It
takes a lot more time to fix junk, than it does to build from a clean slate.

Another important consideration is to get a big down payment on the site and
stipulate payments at each milestone in the sites progress.  No payment.  No
progress.  It seems everyone wants their site built tomorrow, but some of
them are slow payers.

Paul Wilson
webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com

---