Re: WingDings in the navigation links

by "Ray T. Mahorney" <rmahorney(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:27:19 -0400
 To:  <jtpolk(at)texas.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
From: <jtpolk(at)texas.net>
To: <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 12:02 PM
Subject: WingDings in the navigation links

I have a page that shows up for some users with the top links showing up
as the WindDing font. The users that see this are all in a city's
network, and no one outside the network can see the problem.

The page that shows WindDing font for the top navigational links:

http://abilenetx.com/Human_Resources/catold.html

The one that has one change that does not show the WingDing font:

http://abilenetx.com/Human_Resources/category.html

The ONLY difference between showing WingDings and not showing WingDings
is a line in the style sheet in the head of the page:

BODY { font-family: serif; }

Removing this resolves the problem, but I'm convinced that there is
something seriously wrong with the cities computers, just as they are
convinced that there is something seriously wrong with the HTML coding
of the offending WingDing web page.

Has anyone an idea or clue about why this might be happening??

This is of somewhat academic interest since this web site will be
disappearing in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks....
--

Jim Tom Polk -:- jtpolk(at)texas.net -:- http://camalott.com/~jtpolk/
''You might as well fall flat on your face as