Re: Background Images

by "Manish Sharma" <msharma(at)satyam.net.in>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:54:09 +0530
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
David,

Let me put it this way, the entire web page (HTML + any external JavaScript
+ any external CSS file + images) should not be more than 70kb. I keep it
below 42kb (there is an article on web page sizes and
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com )

If you want a full screen background image there is no hard and fast rule.
You should understand your web audience. If 55% of then use 800x600 screen
resolution then your background image should be of that size...
You might also like to use seamless images as a background for a web page.
Now these are small images but when tiled on a web page, give the impression
of a large image (their sides tile seamlessly)... the whole is large that
the sum of its parts.
You can download more than 1000 web page backgrounds from one of my sites,
http://www.fontmagic.com/back

Also, on the issue of web graphics optimization, be sure to check the JPEG
optimizer from www.xat.com

Regards,
Manish Sharma
http://www.simplygraphix.com - Extreme Design