Re: text fot acccessibility

by "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 28 May 2002 09:44:23 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> For Unix users, Netscape/Mozilla is really the only logical choice. As
> there are still a number of sites that have problems with Netscape 6,
> NS4 is often the best choice.
>
> If someone would only give us a modern browser with all of the
> capabilities of NS4, I'm sure NS4 would finally disappear!

We are still getting about 8% of our users from Netscape 4.x    To be honest
I really wish version 4 browsers would go away now.  I have to keep creating
web content with these ancient browsers in mind.  It gives me a real
headache.  I think most of these people are on public school or work
computers and are not allowed to upgrade.  A few have not upgraded because
of the download hassle.

A few more percent and I will stop supporting version 4 altogether.  The
holdouts need to be compelled to upgrade.  When the entire Internet looks
bad or becomes inoperable, they will have to change.

Many of these older versions of Netscape have security problems.  I found
this out when we started using a Thawte security key.  We started getting
emails from some users of earlier Netscape 4.x versions.  Research found
there were two problems, one was a Y2K problem and the other was a bug
related to encryption with relation to some encryption key companies. The
problems are gone in 4.6 and 4.7 versions.

Paul Wilson
webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com

---