Re: shopping cart

by "Kim Mitchell" <kim(at)who-knows.com>

 Date:  Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:11:14 -0400
 To:  "Barbara Money" <bmoney(at)brainiac.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Barbara..

It sounds like there wont be a very large number of products, so you
probably don't need a database-driven shopping cart.

You will want to provide someway for people to buy on-line, though, so that
means either a shopping cart program and SSL capabilities or contracting out
for that.  Secure certs used to be available from Thawte at $129 per year or
Verisign at $3?? per year, but Verisign recently bought Thawte, so the price
may have gone up.

Shopping carts are programs that you either purchase or download as freeware
(There are quite a few freeware programs available for the UNIX platform.)
The problem with freeware is sometimes you need to be a programmer just to
get the software to work.  Perhaps somebody has a recommendation of a good
and easy-to-use program for you.

The ultimate credit card acceptance is on-line approvals and sales records
tied in with inventory management.  You can also use whatever credit card
approval system he has now if you're willing to type in the card numbers
manually.  that's not such a bad idea for a small operation. On-line
approvals involve subscribing to a service that ties in with your shopping
cart which is an additional expense.

If he is currently not set up to acept credit cards, I would look for an
on-line service to sign up with.  They'll take a fairly hefty percentage of
every transaction, but the set-up headaches will be much less for you and
for your client.  On the down side, you don't learn as much about the
process, either.

All the best,
Kim

   Kimberley Mitchell                           (732) 750-1941
   Member: HTML Writers Guild        kim(at)mighty-sites.com
   Mighty Sites Web Design               http://www.mighty-sites.com