Re: fixed width for list box

by Thomas James Allen <tjallen(at)pipeline.com>

 Date:  Fri, 03 Sep 1999 07:20:08 -0400
 To:  Ron Shacham <ron(at)rpal.rockwell.com>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:11 AM 8/30/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi-- I'm trying to make a list box with the <select size=n> tag, but I
>would like it to have a fixed width.  The width tag apparently only works
>in Netscape.  I would also like to have the elements in the list box to
>have text that includes white spaces, but I couldn't get this to work with
>the value attribute or with <PRE> tags.  Any ideas would be much appreciated!
>Thanks,
>Ron
--------------
Ron
The width of a select box is set by the longest option.

The value element is what is to be returned to the server,
and doesn't effect the way the option appears to the user.

Only one space in a row will show in the option, no matter
how many times you use your spacebar (I guess you saw this).

To get extra spaces into the option, you must do this:
<OPTION>Very &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; good

Hope this helps,
jimmy