Re: Drop Down Menus expanded

by Thomas James Allen <tjallen(at)pipeline.com>

 Date:  Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:22:35 -0400
 To:  "Billy Oppel" <woppel(at)netexas.net>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:11 PM 9/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I tried to change the <INPUT TYPE=3D"Image" SRC=3D"pic I want" =
>onClick=3D"top.location.href=3Dthis.form.list.options[this.form.list.sele=
>ctedIndex].value">
>
>But this keeps getting me an error of " 'this.form.list' is not an =
>object"
>Any one out there have any idea?
-------------
First, name your form. <form name="fred" blah blah blah>
Then name your selection box <select name="joe">

Now you can refer to the values of elements of the selection box as
document.fred.joe.options[document.fred.joe.selectedIndex].value

I don't know how you're gonna work an image into all this,
but above is the way to refer to the value of a selection box choice.

IE will work without the "document." but I can't seem to get NN to work
without it, so I include it, and it works in both browsers.

I can never seem to get those "this."'s to work,
even though all my javascript books use them! Oh well, so I
name all my objects, and refer to them by name, and it works.

Hope this helps,
jimmy
---
Jimmy Allen (Thomas James Allen)