Re: anchors in IE 4

by Thomas James Allen <tjallen(at)pipeline.com>

 Date:  Sat, 18 Sep 1999 09:29:02 -0400
 To:  sfreed <sfreed(at)doubled.com>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:23 PM 9/17/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi folks:
>I have a page with a <A name="top">    </A> tag at the top of the page.
>Further down in the page I have a:
>
><A href="#top">Return to top of page</A>
>
>The above link returns to the top of the page in
>Navigator 4, but in Explorer 4, all it does is
>continue down the page to the end. Any
>suggestions?
>TIA
>Satch Reed
--------------------
Some browsers don't handle a blank between the anchor tags,
especially if the anchor is within a table (and especially
if your table has errors in the code).

You can try
<a name="fred">&nbsp;</a>
or
<a name="fred">First word of paragraph</a>
or even
where the period is the same color as your background.

Test for table errors by putting XXX between the anchor commands,
and make your table border=1, and see where the XXX appears on the page.

If the anchor is within a table, you may have to move it
above the table, or break the table in two, and put the anchor
between the tables.

Hope this helps,
jimmy
---