Re: Spacing IE and NN

by Thomas James Allen <tjallen(at)pipeline.com>

 Date:  Sun, 26 Dec 1999 09:25:09 -0500
 To:  Sharon <sll(at)chariot.net.au>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:12 PM 12/26/99 +1000, you wrote:
>Seasons Greetings Everyone!
>I have set up a links page and a background graphic in which I have tried to
>align the tables to sit in the grey part of the background. (that part will
>make sense if you take a look at the link).
>
>However my problem is that it sits ok in IE to where I want the tables to
>be, but in Netscape the spacing does not appear the same. Please do not look
>to "critically" at the html!
>
>Is it just another IE/NN conflict that the spacing/alignment does not appear
>the same in each browser?
>Cheers
>Sharon
---------------------
Sharon,
Yes, the spacing in IE and NN differs. You are unlikely to get any scheme of
tables to line up overtop a background like you are trying to do. Further,
this page will not line up the same PC to Mac, and will not line up the same
when I narrow my browser window enough that your lines wrap, and so on.

Also, many users are unlikely to have the font Daniella, so this line will
space differently, too. And anyone who changes their default font size will
get different spacing on your page. In short, it is impossible to guarantee
that html words and tables line up overtop of a background image. Sorry!

The only ways around this that I know of, is to put sliced up pieces of the
image into the table itself. So, in your case, you'd put the sky, spikes and
spheres image in a table cell above each links area, and put ocean-like
images as table cell backgrounds behind each link, and repeat this method
all the way down the page, with a new table for each section. Yes, it won't
look the same as you have imagined, but that's just the way html is.

Seasons greetings,
jimmy

---
Jimmy Allen (Thomas James Allen)