Re: That Ol' Time HTML

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:51:14 EDT
 To:  mr_griz(at)hotmail.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Good Morning Friends"

Larry wrote:

>I developed an html tutorial a few years ago called HTML 4 Rookies. It
>was fairly successful, but I got too busy to keep it current, and a buyer
came
>along a few weeks before what promised to be a very dismal Christmas for
>my kids, so I sold it.

Hmm...sounds like a good O'Henry story....  :-)

Then Larry asked:

>But now, we have things like style sheets to deal with, and I have no idea
>when I should introduce them. Should I teach style first, or somewhere
>in the middle, or should I leave it for the end?

>From this student:

I began studying HTML this Spring to prepare for a possible career change.
Over a period of six evenings, I took Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced
HTML at a local computer businesss school.

The curriculum worked for me and was structured generally as follows:

Beginning - Web sites, basic tags, font manipulation, lists, links
Intermediate - Inline and external style sheets, placing images, tables,
frames
Advanced - Forms, scripts

Although style sheets are not completely supported - especially by NN - they
will be shortly and should be taught and used.  I was lucky enough to quickly
pick up some freelance work and all the pages I worked on used CSS.  As a
matter of fact, I was able to pick up on some errors which helped the
designer who gave me that first break!

Hope this helps....

- Jeff Kopito

-