Re: ../, is it ok to use?

by "�Megan �" <peacedream(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:59:27 PDT
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  tristar(at)raex.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I have tried, sparingly, using ../index.html instead of
>www.mysite.com/index.html.  What I wanted to know was how well this >was
>supported by browsers and OSs.  Of course the latest versions of
>netscape and IE support it.

In short, no I don't think so.
BUT
you can use "./" and it should work fine.
Are a lot of your visitors using those UNIX type of browsers?
If so, I suggest asking one of them to check for you.

*background info*
There are 3 types of links.
1. Links to a completly different site.
2. Links to a page on your site.
3. Links to some sort of file.

Now, links to a completly different site are like < a
href="http://yadayada.com" >

Links to a page on your own site should look like < a href="./" > or
whatever your linking to.  This tells the browser to look for it on the same
server and such, therefor page loads quicker.  Same with images if they are
on your server, link it that way.

Good luck!
~Megan

**Please ignore this if it is totally wrong, I'm sure someone will say
something if it is.**