Re: Repost how to increase res. of gif and jpeg (and BMP)

by "Duncan Austin" <duncan1a(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:37:49 PDT
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I need to convert 2 (4) images from jpg/gif or even BMP to both high
>res. prints and to high res I guess jpeg
>They were scanned @ 150 dpi (the outlines) and I cannot remake them.

Hi.

Increasing the resolution won't increase the quality of an existing
image.... it can't create detail that isn't there. The only time I can think
of that you would need to do that is if you want to apply effects to the
image - then the results will be better if they are applied at a higher
resolution.

I have Corel Photopaint and to increase resolution you go to Image/resample.
Note that the resampled image will look bigger on you screen at a higher
resolution because monitors can only display around 72 or 96 dpi. bmp or jpg
are generally better than gif for high quality whit jpg having the smallest
file size by far...

Hope this helps

Duncan