Re: URI and URl

by "Sean Healy" <jalopeura(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:19:23 AKST
 To:  hwg-Basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Although the post below is true in practice, there is a technical difference
that I thought some on the list might like to know (delete this now if you
don't care about technicalities):

According to the URI Working Group:

A URI can be further classified as a locator, a name, or both.   The term
"Uniform Resource Locator" (URL) refers to the subset of URI that identify
resources via a representation of their primary access mechanism (e.g.,
their network "location"), rather than identifying the resource by name or
by some other attribute(s) of that resource.  The term "Uniform Resource
Name" (URN) refers to the subset of URI that are required to remain globally
unique and persistent even when  the resource ceases to exist or becomes
unavailable.
A URN differs from a URL in that it's primary purpose is persistent labeling
of a resource with an identifier.  That identifier is drawn from one of a
set of defined namespaces, each of which has its own set name structure and
assignment procedures.  The "urn" scheme has been reserved to establish the
requirements for a standardized URN namespace, as defined in "URN Syntax"
[RFC2141] and its related specifications.

Information obtained at http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/rfc2396.txt

More on URNs:

An URN MUST be considered an opaque URL by URL resolvers and passed (with
the "urn:" tag) to an URN resolver for resolution.  The URN resolver can
either be an external resolver that the URL resolver knows of, or it can be
functionality built-in to the URL resolver.

To avoid confusion of users, an URL browser SHOULD display the complete URN
(including the "urn:" tag) to ensure that there is no confusion between URN
namespace identifiers and URL scheme identifiers.

Information obtained at ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2141.txt

So basically, a URL is a specific type of URI, and conforming browsers are
supposed to treat it a URN as a URL except that it puts "urn:" in front of
it.

So any type of URI will be treated as a URL, so Gio is right when he says
both mean a web address.

Hope nobody was too bored by this.