Re: "illegal operation"

by Sharon <sll(at)chariot.net.au>

 Date:  Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:39:35 +1000
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
In case the list is interested I got this from a Netscape Newsgroup for 4
and above. It is not copyrighted given it is on a public newsgroup and may
help others. I know I need to try some of the ideas given I get "illegal
operation" often and I do not use WebTv.

Try the usual first-aid.  Close NetScape.  Then use your file manager to
delete NETSCAPE.HST and the CACHE directory (or all files therein).
They will be built anew as you surf.

IPF and GPF errors can be elusive, and may be system-specific...

   http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19970203-1.html
   http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19970702-6.html
   http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19971103-4.html (msvcrt)
   http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19971115-17.html
   http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19970702-6.html
   http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19970113-1.html

http://SUPPORT.MICROSOFT.COM/support/search/c.asp

http://WWW.EROLS.COM/techinfo/win95/win95GPF.html
http://WWW.WINDOWSTROUBLE.COM/kernel32dll.shtml

Also explore these possibilities...

  Search for ADVERT.DLL.  If found in c:\windows\system, try moving
  it to the same folder as the application that uses it - one that
offers
  advertisements.  Go!Zilla is a possibility.  Or rename to ADVERT.OLD.
  However, this may disable the application that installed it.

  Try different color depths, under Control Panel|DISPLAY|SETTINGS.

  Also click the ADVANCED button, then the PERFORMANCE tab, and
  lower the acceleration setting.

  If DirectX is installed, disable Direct Draw Hardware Acceleration.
  Use DXTOOL.EXE.  START button|FIND|FILES| "DXTOOL".

  Temporarily disable animated cursors, screen savers and the like.

If these measures help, seek out an updated video driver from the
chip or card manufacturer's WEBsite.

Prior to opening NetScape, disable all background applications -
including virus checkers, performance monitors, WEBaccelerators and
cache
utilities, ads-off and crashguard programs, TSRs, animated screen savers
and the like.  Click <atl-ctrl-del> once and END TASK of each item
except
NETSCAPE, RNAAPP and EXPLORER and SYSTRAY, if it is shown.

Originally posted by hb with modifications to make Netscape links
current.

*Mind you I don't want to have to disable everything just to use Netscape*

Cheers

Sharon