Re: Two: (1)not able to create .html files and 2) disappearing graphics

by "John Shriver" <johnshriver(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:30:07 PDT
 To:  rawright(at)swbell.net,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dick -

Gentle, huh!

(Q-1)First, Notepad is a text editor program, which means it deals with text
documents.  So, when you are writing a HTML document first let Notepad save
it as a text document (example: mypage.txt).  That way you can recall the
file, and make adds/changes/deletions, etc.  Next, go to "save as" and then
save the file as .html (ex: mypage.html). Be sure that you save the file
into the same folder and directory that way you can find the file when you
are ready to FTP the file to your site (I'm assuming that is how you are
transfering files - of course, transfer only the HTML file - I use CuteFTP
and the file has to be transfered as an ascii file).

Next, when you copy and past "viewed" HTML off the web and Notepad saves it
as a .txt document (assuming you copied ALL the HTML to render the page a
functioning HTML document) - just repeat the process above when you are
offline.  Open the .txt doc (ex: sample.txt)in Notepad and save it as .html
(ex: sample.html). Then go to My Computer, find the folder/directory where
you saved sample.html, double click on it, and your browser software should
open the page as a webpage being viewed offline.

*This is all to say that you are not really "converting" .txt to .html - you
are just saving the document with an extention that lets a web browser know
that the document contains HTML code.

(Q-2) Regarding images being used as BACKGROUND.  There is way too many
possible reasons for your problems to go into here - especially without more
details. But, most likely it is a cross-platform compatibility issue.  This
is why HWG makes such a big stink about writing proper HTML, and using an
HTML validator.

John
SpinnerDesign.com