Re: Domain Email Question

by "John Shriver" <johnshriver(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 09 Jun 2000 09:03:30 PDT
 To:  sandy(at)sannicron.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Sandy,

I just went through this a couple months ago, so I'm quoting directly from
the paperwork from MY hosting company. Depending on the hosting company your
client has contracted with, some - all or none of this may apply.

#1 - In order for your client to access their "stats" directory they can not
be behind a firewall or a proxy server that blocks NTLM authenticaton
protocol. If I'm correct, AOL does! You can request that the hosting company
disable the password protection so that your client can gain access, but
obviously security is compromised. (I'm no fan of AOL, either.)

#2 - The hosting company should provide you with the Email Pop3 and SMTP
Server names, and the Email Administration Account name with the temporary
password. Once you gain access you can change the forwarding address (mine
was a "nobody" alias and I changed it to "webmaster"). Doing so will allow
all email sent to "new_name"(at)yourdomain.com to be forwarded to the email
address you choose.

HTH, John