Re: Pop-up Windows (with periods)

by "Susan Vollmer" <susanvollmer(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:07:23 CDT
 To:  elias(at)assumptionabbey.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sorry about my previous message.  Hopefully the code displays this time with
the periods added.  If you want to try it, just remove the two periods
everywhere you see them and copy and place in notepad or html editor.

>From: Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

[snip]
I want to know how to make a pop-up window (as opposed to opening in a new
browser window.
[snip]

You may already have the information you need but thought I would go ahead
and share the example below.  This is the example that was taught in a
javascript class I had this summer.  The teacher's idea was that instead of
forcing a pop-up window on someone, you would have a submit button in a form
if more information was desired.  When the person clicks the button, the
window appears.  You can change the height and width in the code if it
doesn't meet your needs.  The example follows:

<..html>
<..head>
<!--Ex:  Opening  a  new  window  by  clicking  on  a  button-->
<..script language="JavaScript">
<!--Hide the script from other browsers
function openwin(){

..window.open("todays.htm",
"newwin","height=250,width=200,scrollbars=yes,status=yes")
..}

..//Stop hiding from other browsers-->
<../script>

<../head>
<..body>

<..h1>Insert  Headline</h1>
..Insert  body  copy

<..form>
	<..input type="button"	value="More info"
..  	onclick="openwin()">
<../form>

<../body>
<../html>

Regards,
Susan Vollmer
"Don't you know the world is full of problems?" asked the negative thinker.
"But the world is also full of the overcoming of problems," replied the
postive thinker.
    -- Norman Vincent Peale