Re: Favorite Resolution and Browsers

by Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

 Date:  Sat, 18 Nov 2000 12:50:33 -0800
 To:  "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I agree with Fuzzy. The stats generalize huge differences among various
types of Web sites. I run an educational site with heavy school and
library use and my stats are similar to the ones below. And my Web
design business site shows about 30% of users to be on a Mac -- quite a
difference from the general stats.

Also bear in mind that a small *percentage* could represent millions of
actual users.

Ken

On 11/18/00 at 11:49 AM, Captain F.M. O'Lary <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net> wrote:

> The browser/resolutions you can *actually* expect are far more
> realistically based on the type of site you are looking at the
statistics for.

> One of the schools I service have these statistics ~approximately~:
>
> 800x600    (22%)
> 1024x768    (.01%)
> 640x480    (70%)
> 1280x1024    (<.01%)
> 1152x864    (0%)
> 1600x1200    (0%)
> Unknown    (1%)
>
>  MSIE 5.x     (2%)
> MSIE 4.x     (30%)
> Netscape 4.x     (22%)
> Netscape comp.     (1%)
> Netscape 3.x or below   (44%)

> Obviously, a site focusing on e-commerce for instance, should expect
> *drastically* different statistics. Because of that, I propose
> thinking in "general terms" may not be the best approach when deciding
> on how to design your site.

---
Simplelives * Web Design
http://simplelives.com