RE: Netscape & tables

by Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:54:54 -0800
 To:  sathish(at)bramhan.com
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have had very good results with Netscape 6 by using a more recent
version of the URI, rather than "ditching" it completely. The following
doctype seems to work well with all versions of Netscape and IE that I
have encountered:

<.!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

The 19991224 refers to a a Dec 24, 1999, version of the DT. I know
little enough about doctypes to understand why it works and I only
stumbled on it by accident. But all the sites in my portfolio work
whether they contain extra spacing, nested tables, rollovers, swap
images, mixed fixed and percentage widths, embedded Flash, etc. The
only exception is one page that uses a show and hide layers behavior.
This page is designed to degrade gracefully so the failure to swap
layers doesn't present much of a problem.

Ken

On 1/15/01 at 5:48 AM, Sathish C. Bramhan <SBramhan(at)loadmedia.com>
wrote:

> Are you talking about Netscape 6? If so, just ditch the URI from the
> normal 4.01 dtd.

> > People have said "Netscape has problems handling nested tables". My
> > experience: Netscape has no problems as long as the code is valid
> > (tables are properly closed).

> > People have said: "Netscape doesn't handle absolute and relational
> > (percent) tables nested together well". My experience: No problems
> > as long as the code is valid.
>
> > I only have Netscape 4.6. Has anybody seen pages where Netscape has
> > problems handling tables?
---
Simplelives * Web Design
http://simplelives.com