Re: DOCTYPES RE: W3C Validation: Why won't HotMetal "DTD" HTMl valida te?

by Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:51:32 -0800
 To:  "Villano,
Paul" <VillanoP(at)usachcs-emh1.army.mil>
 Cc:  HWG Basics <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 2/13/01 at 02:40 PM, Villano, Paul <VillanoP(at)usachcs-emh1.army.mil>
wrote:

> What doctype does Dreamweaver 4 (or in your case, HotMetal Pro)
> create?
>
> I have DW4 files that don't have doctypes in them (because, I suspect,
> they were stripped from the file along with other comments).  I was
> wondering how to figure out what doctype they are, but I guess the
> easiest question is just to run them through DW4 and find out what
> doctype that program produces.

Dreamweaver does not automatically assign a doctype to a new page.
Assigning a doctype in DW4 is initiated by the user -- just as if you
were hand coding. All DW4 does to simplify the process is to type it out
for you and put it where it belongs at the top of your document. You
still need to select which doctype to use.

I have never used any other WYSIWYG editor, but I suspect that most
behave differently than Dreamweaver. DW does not create pages based on a
doctype. It is up to the designer to know what is allowed and what is
not. References are available if you need help. And commands can be
added that will validate your page.

But I don't believe you can run a page through it and have it assign a
doctype. If your DW4 files don't have doctypes it is because the
designer didn't know or didn't care to add them. That leads me to
believe that the files will not validate to *any* doctype -- until you
fix them. Try inserting each doctype at a time and see which one
produces the fewest validation errors.

Ken

http://www.thirdlives.com
ThirdLives Web Design