Re: Not HTML

by Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

 Date:  Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:04:32 -0800
 To:  "Michael A. Young,
Sr." <thecybertroll(at)home.com>
 Cc:  hwg basic <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have registered scores of domains for clients. I always name the
client as the administrative and billing contact and the Web host as the
technical contact. The domain name belongs to the client and by setting
them up as billing and administrative contacts, it makes it easier for
them to make any changes such as moving the domain. Granted, they could
move a domain right out from under me -- but I figure that it is their
domain and they are entitled to do that if they want. I do not want to
be a co-signer on their domain name which is essentially what you do if
you set yourself up as administrative contact.

Most of my clients are not very Web-savvy so it is helpful for them if I
take care of all the paperwork. My recommendation is that you do the
same. I think it is standard practice among most designers.

When you register a domain you will have the opportunity of listing the
client as owner. You can even pay for the domain and have the client pay
you. It doesn't matter whose credit card pays for the domain. The owner
of the domain is whomever you name when you sign up.

On a similar subject, I also recommend you look around and ask around
before just registering a domain with Network Solutions. They are no
longer the only game in town and much of the new competition is far
better in price and service.

Best of luck with your site!

Ken

On 3/5/01 at 02:10 PM, Michael A. Young, Sr. <thecybertroll(at)home.com>
wrote:

> Hello Everyone, This is not an HTML question, but you are all probably
> qualified to help me out a bit.  I am putting together a website for a
> friend. It's actually going to be a class project in the HTML 4.0
> class. Is it the responsibility of the webmaster to register the
> domain name or is it the client?  How would the webmaster register the
> name and the client retain ownership? I thought it should all be in a
> contract, but it's more of an exchange of goods kind of deal. This is
> my first time doing this all the way through for a client (as if you
> couldn't tell :-), but they are helping me out because they understand
> that I am not experienced.

http://www.thirdlives.com
ThirdLives Web Design

http://simplelives.com