Re: Web Hosting

by Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

 Date:  Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:53:33 -0800
 To:  hwg basic <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 3/10/01 at 11:13 AM, Michael A. Young, Sr. <thecybertroll(at)home.com>
wrote:

> I know some of you do web host reselling and other stuff like that,
> but when you look for a web hosting service do you just go for price?
> Do you look for price and services?  Have any of you based you
> decision on the fact that the web host site did NOT validate in the
> W3C html checker? The reason I ask is I have checked about 8 web
> hosting sites and none of them validate.  Is there a particular reason
> for that?  Or, should a webmaster not worry about the fact that they
> bust there butts to validate in HTML and the WH Service does not?
> Should I support any of these companies that don't validate by sending
> them a clients business?  In fact, the top five at Top Host

> http://www.tophosts.com/pages/webhost/ecomhost.htm

> did not validate.  Why is that?

In an ideal world, it would great if Web hosting Web sites validated. I
would not base my decision to go with them solely on that basis, though.
I would hope that a good Web host will specialize in service and
technical expertise and I am not bothered if their site does not
validate. If the site crashes and burns, that is another matter!

Neither microsoft.com nor apple.com will validate and yet I would assume
that 99% of us are using their products.

There seems to be a relationship between the top sites at tophosts.com
and their advertisers. Can they be trusted to recommend?

Out of curiosity, I checked the Web site of one of the hosts I use:

http://pair.com/

They are the oldest and largest independently-owned Web hosts in the
world (strange that they are not listed at tophosts.com) and I have been
extremely happy with their service and prices for many years. But their
Web site did not validate!! I need to write to them and see if I can be
of some influence. They are very close to validating --  they lack only
a DTD and alt tags. But I won't stop using them for that reason.

Good question, Mikey.

Ken

---
Simplelives * Web Design