Re: Need PDF version of HTML 4.01 Specification...tried downloading it....

by Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

 Date:  Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:14:27 -0800
 To:  Ed Peddycoart <ed(at)celticblues.com>
 Cc:  HWG-Basics <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 3/22/01 at 10:16 AM, Ed Peddycoart <ed(at)celticblues.com> wrote:

> I recently tried to download the gzipped PDF version of HTML 4.01
> Specification from http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/html40.pdf.gz.  I have
> been successful, several times, in downloading this file, but each
> time I have tried to uncompress this file, I receive an error message
> saying that the file is not a valid archive.  I have tried several
> utilities to uncompress it but with no luck.  Is there an alternative
> download site?  Could someone send it to me?  If anyone is willing to
> email it, please email me first, and let me respond so that I will
> only receive one copy.  Thanks.

I downloaded and uncrompressed the file with no problems on my Mac. My
browser IE 5 is configured to use Stuffit Expander with any zipped file
and it didn't even choke on this one. The resulting file was what
appeared to be a plain text file that could not be opened by
double-clicking. But I was able to drag and drop it onto Acrobat Reader
4.0 which handled it with ease. Let me know and I will send it to you.

Ken

http://www.thirdlives.com
ThirdLives Web Design

http://simplelives.com