Re: logs

by Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>

 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2000 19:08:49 -0600
 To:  MikeMarinaro(at)cs.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:47 PM 2/22/00 EST, MikeMarinaro(at)cs.com wrote:

Hi Mike-

Ask tech support at your ISP.  The server (at least the BSD UNIX kind) are
generally configured with log files.  There should be:

	agent_log
	access_log
	referer_log
	error_log

I just use my raw log files...it took some getting used to, but after a
little practice, you can spot "out of the ordinary" entries, etc.  As far
as compiling statistics from your logs, you are going to need some kind of
program to do this, presumably a CGI script if you want HTML output to be
able to view your stats on a web page.  Some of the gurus around here can
probably give you a more detailed run-down.  For example, if you are
getting hundreds, thousands, or millions of hits per day, then looking at
the log files in vi or pico will be a royal pain.  On the other hand, if
your hits are relatively low, maybe you can forego the expense of a script
and just use the "line of sight" method that I do...hehehe.  There are also
commercial services available that will grab your logs and compile all the
stats you want.  But, this means more $$$$.  Good luck!

Mike