Re: QBASIC

by Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>

 Date:  Wed, 05 Apr 2000 11:24:28 -0500
 To:  tgabriel(at)bellsouth.net,
c4david(at)flash.net
 Cc:  Rachel Sz <Pray(at)netnitco.net>, HWG <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Terry!

At 09:37 AM 4/5/00 -0400, Terry wrote:
>> Rachel Sz wrote:
>>
>>  JMJ
>>
>>  This is not an HTML question but in a way it is . I want to teach our
>>  younger sons QBASIC, but I need to know if there is a program that I can
>>  download that will allow me to do this.
>>  Rachel
>
>Look on the Windows 95 CD. There is a folder there that has it. I can't
>remember the name of the folder, but file find can locate it.
>
>Question:
>
>Why would you want to subject your children to that particular language?
                                      ^^^^^^
Interesting that you chose the word "subject" here...it almost sounds like
punishment <grin>.  IMHO, exposure to and experience with programming
constructs (e.g. DO WHILE LOOP, DO UNTIL LOOP, FOR NEXT LOOP, arrays, etc.)
can easily be demonstrated with QBasic...plus, it has the special added
bonus of being free.

>The
>world has come a long way in terms of programming since the '70s. >Other than
>some little meaningless scripts, Basic is useless.

Hmmm...not quite sure what you mean by "little meaningless scripts". Why in
the world would *anyone* write a little meaningless script?  As far as
being useless...well, that may be true for someone who already knows C++,
VB, or some other high level language, but, again IMHO, it can be a great
stepping stone into the programming world in general.

>Look at www.python.org for a good, easy to learn, powerful, object >oriented
>programming language.

Is this the first language you learned?  Just curious...<smile>.

Mike