Re: validation

by Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>

 Date:  Sat, 08 Apr 2000 00:54:22 -0500
 To:  Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Christopher!

And thanks very much for the reply.  I fixed the js meta tag, and went
through all of my attributes line by line...no problems there.  I took out
the margin*'s, and I really don't notice much difference in the way my page
looks...I don't know why I put those in there in the first place <blush>.
I went back to the validator, and I have pasted in the report...I'm trying
to understand why my "'p" tags and my "h3" tags are causing problems.
Here's the [snip].

[snip]

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
parser.

     Line 149, column 121:

       ... 00" link="#0000ff" vlink="#800080" alink="#ff0000">
                                                             ^

     Error: document type does not allow element "BODY" here

     Line 349, column 2:

         ^

     Error: document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of
"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME",
     "BUTTON" start-tag

     Line 351, column 3:

       <h3>
          ^

     Error: document type does not allow element "H3" here; missing one of
"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME",
     "BUTTON" start-tag

     Line 366, column 2:

         ^

     Error: document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of
"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME",
     "BUTTON" start-tag

     Line 392, column 2:

         ^

     Error: document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of
"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME",
     "BUTTON" start-tag

     Line 430, column 3:

       <h3>
          ^

     Error: document type does not allow element "H3" here; missing one of
"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME",
     "BUTTON" start-tag

     Line 446, column 2:

         ^

     Error: document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of
"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME",
     "BUTTON" start-tag

     Line 459, column 2:

         ^

     Error: document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of
"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME",
     "BUTTON" start-tag

     Line 471, column 2:

         ^

     Error: document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of
"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME",
     "BUTTON" start-tag

[snip]

The good news is, the page made "Bobby Approval".  BTW, I read through the
Bobby report, and investigated all of the questions, answering
affirmatively in each case...is there a special process I have to go
through to put the Bobby graphic on my site?

Thanks again,

Mike

At 03:21 PM 4/8/00 +1000, Christopher Higgs wrote:
>G'Day Michael,
>Quite often fixing one error solves a multitude of others!  Because of this
>you have to approach the errors dealing with the first one first.
>
>Line 12, column 27:
>   <SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
>
>This is simple, simply make it:
>   <SCRIPT language="JavaScript" type'="text/javascript">
>
>Many of your problems involve not quoting the attribute values:
>
>Line 138, column 12:
>   <BODY aLink=#ff0000
>
>Should be:
>   <BODY aLink="ff0000"
>
>Notice the quotation marks???
>
>When you get to marginheight", "marginwidth", "topmargin", and "leftmargin
>which you know are OK but just not supported by the validator, try removing
>them temporarily to ensure the rest of the page is OK.
>

>Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
>Institute of Land and Food Resources
>University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au

Michael Jon Muehlendorf
E-Mail: mailto:coyote(at)scenic-bluffs.com
WWW: http://www.scenic-bluffs.com/fsg/