Re: table rowspan problem

by Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>

 Date:  Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:01:29 -0500
 To:  Lori Eldridge <lorel(at)ior.com>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Lori!

First of all, I notice that you have an extra set of <body></body> tags in
your code. Also, I see extra data cell openings with no data and no closing
tag. You employ a prolific use of the <br> and <center> tags. And, you have
two declarations of "rowspan", on for "3", and a second one for "2"...so
delete the one for "2". Also, you cannot nest <td> tags within other <td>
tags, unless you declare a new table and row first.

You can layout the data in your cells much easier if you will simply apply
the "align=center" attribute to the data cells where you want it centered.
And, generally, two <br> tags back to back have the same effect in layout
as using only one tag. If you are trying to create space, I would suggest
using the &nbsp; with a <br> tag immediately following it.

Tables will  _force_  you to learn HTML!

Good luck!

Mike

At 10:49 AM 4/20/00 -0700, Lori Eldridge wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have spent the last 2 days trying to figure out why my table with 3
columns and 3 rows won't load right. There is one colomn on the left with a
bar of links and then 3 rows of cars on the right (two in each row). The 3
column and 2 row table worked just fine (I'm using an include for the bar
on the left as it needs to stay the same on all pages on the site as I'll
be making it a DHTML eventually).

>However when I tried to add a 3rd row of cars this table won't work. When
I load it on my own computer (with the data for the include inserted) and
view in Netscape 4.61 it looks just fine. Then I load it on the site (with
the data for the include deleted) and view it and it doesn't load right. I
have checked the code over and over and can't see a problem. I haven't
bothered checking IE yet.