Re: alt tags in image maps

by Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:32:43 -0500
 To:  "Rayne Alburquerque" <rayneal(at)home.com>,
"HGW-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Rayne-

I believe Jason has the answer; insert a [title="alt text"] attribute in
your [a href]'s.  (I am using brackets instead of gt and lt, just
substitute) e.g. [a href="http://www.coolwebsite.com/coolest.html" title="A
link to the coolest stuff at www.coolwebsite.com."] Cool [/a]...of course,
you wouldn't use the "Cool" as your link, but instead, the coordinates on
your map. If I've got this all screwed up again, I'm sure someone will let
me know...hehehe.

Hmmmm....I never thought about the accessibility issue for users who are
visually impaired, and, instead of using a "text to speach" browser, or a
Braille reader, may very likely be using a browser like IE or NN, with
images turned off to save download time. Makes me wonder if I should go
back through all of my links and add a title="" to all of my [a] tags. I
always try to achieve Bobby approval, at least level one, as well as W3C
validation, and have never used this attribute on a href's. Maybe it's time
I started? :))

Good luck,

Mike