Re: hwg mailing list Protocol ???

by Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>

 Date:  Wed, 24 May 2000 14:56:09 -0500
 To:  "Kate Pollara" <kpollara(at)home.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Kate!

Well, a couple of things:

1) Inserting the "hwg" prefix into the subject field is a lame duck,
because IF a spammer, electronic vandal, etc. wanted to send something to
the list, he/she could also use the prefix.

2) Yes, we are all concerned about viruses, and some of us have actually
suffered from them, but, as far as I know, any virus contained in an email
message would have to be "executed" by the recipient of the email. I
haven't heard of any that will activate by simply opening the email
message. I could be wrong about that, but usually any file attached to
email will not execute automatically.

We certainly wouldn't want you to leave the list because of your fear of
these things. Also consider the notion that spammers can target you whether
you belong to mailing lists or not. All they need is your email addy, and
in some cases, they don't even need that.

And one final note: the couple of times that virus code has popped up on
the list have been fairly harmless, because there are some very sharp
people lurking among us, and these kinds of things are usually spotted and
reported very quickly.

I hope I have re-assured you enough so that you will remain among us.

Happy HTMLing,

Mike

P.S. I do, however, agree with you that there could be a little more
clarity in the subject fields of some messages...  :)