Re: back button (please don't)

by Mark Horvath <mhorvath(at)shore.net>

 Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 1999 05:36:58 -0400
 To:  ddesign(at)mullum.com.au
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>does anyone know how I can disable the back button on the
>browser when someone clicks onto my site

Hi Sharon,

First, I have no idea how this is done. Probably, something in JavaScript.

I would be extremely cautious, though, about including this in any site you
produce. I spent some time trying to imagine a fair use for this "feature"
before daring a reply and, quite honestly, could not come up with one. I'm
certain that most visitors would find this annoying even if your intentions
were noble.

That said, you may get some help by viewing the source code of a page that
includes this feature. My JS challenged mind guesses it may have something
to do with window.history() property.

Oh well, "Chacun a son gout" (correct spelling optional)

Best wishes,

Mark Horvath

--
Public Keys available from