Re: Servers

by Courtney Carter <jgf001(at)mail.connect.more.net>

 Date:  Thu, 16 Dec 1999 15:54:51 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:26 AM 12/16/1999 EST, Reywob(at)aol.com wrote:
>Which is better, NT or Unix hosting?????

NT versus Unix.....hmmm....that's quite a can of worms to open, Peter.  ;-)

Check these sites out:
http://www.ugraf.com/unix-nt/
http://www.nwc.com/809/809f2chart.html
http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/

>Which is more reliable?
Unix.

>How should I choose which server to use?  Is there an easy way?

In my opinion, I think you should choose your web host based on what type
of site you're going to launch.  For an ecommerce site, you need something
reliable that's not going to crash and lose everyone's Christmas gift
orders.  For a information only site, you could use Unix also, but NT could
handle it just as well.

Unix servers hardly ever crash, they're very scalable and if you go for
command prompt instructions, they're the way to go.

NT has the comfortable GUI interface, is scaleable, but not to the degree
that Unix is and is relatively reliable.

I guess its like comparing a standard transmission (read Unix) to an
automatic transmission (read NT).  Some people like the control of a
standard more than the autopilot of the automatic. Its your call.

HTH,
Courtney <--dousing any flames with buckets of eggnog  ;->